Senior Tax Help Available
There are several programs that can help senior property owners save money on their taxes.

Elderly Home Owner/Renter Credit (Form 2EC) is available for Montana residents who either own or rent a residence in Montana and have done so for at least 6 months, have been a Montana resident for at least 9 months of the year, and have less than $45,000 in gross household income.  A cash refund is based on the ratio between your income and what you have to pay in rent or taxes.

Property Tax Assistance Program (PTAP) will reduce your tax obligation if you meet the following income guidelines:  $24,607 or less for a single person or $32,810 or less for a married couple (2021 FAGI).  The home or mobile home on a foundation must be owned or under contract, and the owner must have lived there for at least seven months during the preceding year.

Extended Property Tax Assistance Program (EPTAP) affects limited properties that have experienced a greater than 24% increase in taxable valuation due to a reappraisal in 2008.  For more information on this program please contact the Montana Department of Revenue in your county.

Montana Disabled Veterans Property Tax Benefit (MDV) is available for disabled veterans or the surviving spouse of a veteran killed on active duty or deceased as a result of a service-connected disability.  Income limits are $43,763 for a single person; $52,515 for married or head of household.  Qualifying for this program may reduce your property tax.

Area VI Agency on Aging can help with application or information for these programs.  Call us at 1-800-266-4188 or 883-7284.

Help is also available at any Montana Department of Revenue location or by calling the Helena office at 1-866-859-2254.  You can also look on Click on Property Assessment (scroll down to little picture of a house), then click Property Tax relief (scroll down to green with dollar sign). Please keep in mind that all applications must be submitted by April 15.

For free help with income tax preparation there is AARP Foundation Tax-Aide.  It is volunteer-run and is available to taxpayers with low to moderate income, with special attention to those age 60 and older.  Many area senior centers have this service available by appointment from February to April 15.  You can also go to from February to April 15 and enter your county or zip code to find locations.