Emergency Rental Assistance
Montana Disabled Veteran Assistance Program (MDV)
The MDV reduction is based on income and marriage status as shown on the table below.
To qualify for MDV, you must:
- Own or currently be under a contract to purchase a home
- Live in the home as your primary residence for at least seven months of the year
- Have a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) showing your current disability status is 100% for a service-connected disability
- Have a 2019 Federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI)—excluding capital income or loss—below the threshold:
- Single: $54,067
- Married or Head of Household: $62,385
- Unmarried Surviving Spouse: $47,136
A surviving spouse must also have a letter from the VA showing their deceased spouse
- Died in active duty, or
- Died from a disability related to service and was rated 100% disability at the time of their death
If you are a new Montana resident, include a copy of your 2019 federal income tax return with your completed application.
If you are married, include your spouse’s income in your FAGI regardless of whether they are a co-owner of the home.
If your only income is from social security, veterans’ benefits and/or other nontaxable sources, include a copy of your social security statement and other income documentation with your completed application.
Depending on your marital status and income, the reduction is 100%, 80%, 70%, or 50% of the normal tax rate.
You may use this table to find which level or reduction you will receive if you qualify for this program.
|Single||Married or Head of Household||Surviving Spouse||Reduction|
|$0 – $41,590||$0 – $49,908||$0 – 34,658||100%|
|$41,591 – $45,749||$49,909 – $54,067||$34,659 – $38,818||80%|
|$45,750 – $49,908||$54,068 – $58,226||$38,819 – $42,976||70%|
|$49,909 – $54,067||$58,227 – $62,385||$42,977 – $47,136||50%|
The income ranges are updated each year for inflation.
To apply for MDV, you must complete the Montana Disabled Veteran Property Tax Relief Application (Form MDV) and return it to your field office.
The April 15 application deadline is waived if a first-time applicant submits their application within 30 days from the date on their property classification and appraisal notice, scheduled to be mailed to them in June 2021.
If you miss the deadline, we will consider your application for the following year.
As long as you own and live in your home, your application will remain active. We will send you a letter each year with your current Property Tax Assistance Program status.
As long as you own and live in your home, your application will remain active. We will send you a letter each year with your current Montana Disabled Veterans Program status.